Sunday, December 30, 2007

It's Over!

Well, that's it folks. It's officially over. I am now a college graduate! :) It's funny because I don't really feel any different and I don't feel like I know anything more than I knew before. In some ways I feel even less knowledgable than I did before. I definitely learned a lot but I just don't remember any of it...lol. There's just so much to know and so much to learn that a college degree really doesn't mean a whole lot. Great, I have a piece of paper now that says I know all of these things about the humanities and about music. But really I only know a fraction of all there is know about those things. Don't get me wrong. I am so grateful for all of the things have learned and that I will be able to take with me throughout my life. I truly have been enlightened and maybe not so much in facts and theories. Rather, I have been enlightened in how to become a better human being. I have learned to be more patient, tolerant, humble, involved, giving, and understanding. Even though I've been at BYU, which has the reputation of being a "bubble," I really have learned a lot about other peoples' views and about the world (yes there are people with varying views and beliefs at BYU). My testimony has been tried and strengthened and I've learned that I need to not be so gullible and that professors are not all-knowing. I can't always take what they say as the gospel truth. I've learned that I can only know truth through the confirmation of the Spirit. That is the only way to truly discern truth from lies. I've learned to be open to what others have to say and at the same time still hold fast to what I believe. I've learned that sometimes we have to do things we hate in order to progress and become better. I've also learned that I have a LONG way to go to become the person I really want to be. So I've decided that a college education is completely about knowing the material on the tests. It is also about finding out who you are and how you are going to go about living in this world, deciding what part you will play. I have decided that I am going to play my part as best as I can. I want to be part of making the world a better place!

As a sidenote, I just wanted to say that Christmas was wonderful! It was so nice to be home and have Nate there with me. We had fun relaxing and playing. He was really excited about the GPS system he got for Christmas from his secret lover ;)....lol. I got earrings, a scrapbooking kit to scrap my graduation, gloves, a 1 GB SD card for my camera, a battery charger, the 5th Harry Potter movie, chocolate, and a couple of gift certificates to go shopping from my parents and Nate. I'm really excited about shopping! Nate and I also got the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD Treasure Hunt game from Mom and Dad. All in all it was great! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday as well!

No comments: